THE SABIAN PLEDGES
The Neophyte Pledge
(A) Affirming that my supreme desire is the achievement of divine illumination, and that the purpose in such desire is to earn a definite commission of stewardship as a conscious participant in the Eternal Wisdom;
(B) Realizing that individual commissions under the Solar Mysteries must be self-bestowed, and that authority of this nature can result only from some self-assumed obligation that will commit my spiritual self by an objectification of this desire;
(C) Understanding that the higher consciousness of the individual corresponds by spiritual dimension with the normal consciousness of the group, and that the power that identity of purpose creates in a group is made available for the committing of my higher self through my activity within such a group;
(D) Determining that my entire being shall be united by binding all my lower and higher principles to this one purpose, and that the desire of my lower will for my higher self shall now gain objectivity through the group consciousness inherent in this pledge;
(1) I hereby declare that the desire for expanded consciousness that brings me before the Sabian Portal of the Solar Mysteries shall be kept the actuating influence in all my lesser desires through the whole of my life, as far as I can achieve control of my being, and I recognize this pledge as in no way dependent on present or future associations with any teaching, organization or person.
(2) Moreover, as an earnest of my serious intent, I promise that for two years from this date I will attend a study group of the Sabian Assembly each week, or make a written report on my thoughts and endeavors in connection with my Sabian committal for each week in which I do not attend such a group, and that for the period of my participation in the activities of the Assembly I will contribute regularly to its support.
The Acolyte Pledge
(A) Affirming that as fruitage of my two years or more of self-assumed discipline I have achieved an enlargement of consciousness I can identify definitely to myself, and that I desire to advance to a point of further spiritual development;
(B) Realizing that individual commissions of stewardship under the Solar Mysteries must be self-bestowed, and that authority of this nature can result only from some regularly performed duty in connection with group consciousness;
(C) Understanding that the acolyte grade of self-commitment marks a willingness on my part to meet the world on the basis of its everyday standards of excellence, and at the same time and without ever drawing attention to myself in connection therewith to accept new responsibilities in the invisible fellowship of which I am a part and to give these constant precedence in my underlying interest;
(D) Determining to link my past and my future or my experiences and my potentialities in a present service to the world, and to develop my persistence of personality to the point of a complete and constant use of the entire heritage of my prior being;
(1) I hereby declare that the conviction of conscious immortality that has been objectified by my passing through the Sabian Portal of the Solar Mysteries shall be kept the determining factor in every enlargement of my consciousness through the entire continuance of my personality, as far as I may be able to influence my incarnations in the present life stream of human expression, and I recognize this pledge as in no way dependent on present or future associations with any teaching, organization, person or invisible intelligence.
(2) Moreover, as an earnest of my serious intent, I promise that following my enlistment as an acolyte I will attend sixty-three consecutive Full Moon meetings of the Sabian Assembly either in person or by proxy, and that for the period of my participation in this discipline I will serve as a worker in consciousness for the Assembly and will continue to contribute regularly to its support.
The Legate Pledge
(A) Affirming that as a result of my seven years or more of self-assumed discipline I have created a laya center in the conscious administration of the spiritual destiny of my race and generation, such as has been identified to me in objective fashion, and that I desire to establish this personal nucleation as an eternal commission of self;
(B) Realizing that individual commissions of stewardship under the Solar Mysteries must be self-bestowed, and that authority of this nature can result only from some permanent association with the group consciousness of those already so commissioned;
(C) Understanding that the legate grade of self-commitment marks a necessity on my part to serve the world in its everyday affairs and to gain a recognition for my ambassadorship of the Solar Mysteries by excellencies that will be judged as such by this outer world, and that I must prove my spiritual development by demonstrating it through a wholly objective normality;
(D) Determining to assimilate my personality to the world soul in such fashion that my major persistence of being shall be in the hearts of men, and to serve myself through this larger selfhood alone;
(1) I hereby declare that the conviction of conscious fellowship with the Great Ones of the ages as this has been objectified for me in the course of the Sabian discipline shall actuate me in a conscious continuance of my stewardship through every aspect of my influence in the world of everyday, as far as I may be able to create a contribution to the world that the world of itself will seek to maintain, and I recognize this pledge as in no way dependent on present or future associations with any teaching, organization, person, invisible intelligence or aspect of deity.
(2) Moreover, as an earnest of my serious intent, I promise that I will spend an hour in strictest solitude preceding my attendance at each of twelve consecutive quarterly meetings of the Sabian Assembly, and that for the period of my participation in the legate or any higher discipline I will serve on a consciousness quadrangle and continue to contribute regularly to the support of the Assembly.
The Junior Pledge
(A) I desire to have an active part in the activities of the Sabian Assembly.
(B) My motive is (a) that I may have the inspiration that comes from associating with people who have dedicated their lives to more than gratifying their appetites and pursuing their selfish interests, (b) that with the help of spiritual precept and example I may develop my own character to the point where I am worthy of association with all the dedicated men and women I may come to know and (c) that through faithfulness to the common objectives uniting those who seek the Sabian way to greater understanding in special self-dedication I may gain some great vision of my own and be able to dedicate my own life to its fulfillment.
(1) Therefore I promise to perform some specific and tangible service in connection with the Sabian procedures as this may (a) be convenient for the members of the Assembly and (b) prove rewarding to me in performing it.